Saturday, August 23, 2008

Job Application from Hell



The alarm was set to ring at 6 AM. I woke up at 8. Shit! But instead of hurrying my ass to dress up, I decided to take my time preparing for the day ahead. It was past 10 AM when I got off the PUV. In front of me is the network of buildings and I thought where the heck was I supposed to go. Meters away form me, I found a guard to ask. "Oh Company W! Their office is at that building," the guard said pointing to a structure a kilometer away. WTF!?! How am I supposed to get there when there's no Jeep, Bus, Taxi or even a trike passing by? Walk?!? Sigh. Then walk it is.

Walking under the angry sun never thrilled me. Most specially when you're wearing a gray long sleeves polo on your way to an interview. Not only would you sweat like an ice-cream slowly melting, you'd have that characteristic smell of butyric acid even though you've used up every bottle of antiperspirant in your desk. I got at the building seven minutes after and was greeted by another guard. "I'm applying for company W?".

"Sir, they have moved to that building right there. they don't have an office in this building anymore." SHIT! That was near the spot I got off the PUV! I wanted to go back and kick the guard's ass for making me walk under the sun to the wrong building, but then I thought he doesn't deserve the calories that I'd be burning for him. And so, I started to walk again squinting my eyes because of the sun's blinding rays.

I entered the building and saw a long line at hte front desk. Visitiors pass i presume so I positioned myself at the back of the line. After what seems like ages (the girl behid the counter was ssoooo irritatingly slow), I was next. "ID please!" the girl siad. Shoot! I don't have any of my Identification cards. I went trough the folder I was holding and looked for anything that could pass for an ID but all that's there were photocopies of the requirements the company told to bring. Double Shoot! I showed every single paper to the girl but she refused to hand me a visitor's pass. Thinking I've already played all of my cards, I turned my back on the desk and headed straight to the exit.

I went there for nothing! I was looking at the jacket I brought ( I brought one becuse I thought its going to rain, but it was sooo sunny!). This was the same jacket I brought when I applied for Company P, and I kept My ID inside one of its pocket right here...HA! My ID is still here! So looking like I've just won a million bucks I headed straight to the desk and got my visitor's pass. Yeay! But the day did not end there.

I am used to job application where I would be applying with probably 2 or 3 other applicants. Mst will be 8. Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine to sit in a lobby with 50 or more applicants! And that was the scene I walked into at Company W. I was surprised at the least. The gruard asked for my resume and made me wait in a corner since all seats are taken, some of which are shared by two applicants. I waited. And waited. And waited.

There were people of every kind. One that caught my interest was "espasol girl". Of course that's not her real name. I gave her that name becuase of her face that looked as if 5 bottles of face powder were used to lighten up her skin. When she walks around, you'll see a trail of white powdery substance falling off her face. She kept me entertained while I was waiting for my turn.

"Mr. ___,". Oh that's me. I was about to go inside the room when Espasol girl stood up. Wait. I heard my name. Did they call me or her? The interviewer called out my name once again so I nodded and went for the door. While I was entering the room, Espasol girl "Ah siya pala. Kala ko John Brian," ESPASOL GIRL is a boy! Haha...

By Joe with 2 comments

2 feedbacks:

i could have chanted my fire spell to burn that freakin' guard who sent me off!!! haha. wish you all luck bes. sa amin ka na kasi magwork. hahaha/ joke. best of luck talaga!

i never had a hard time in applying for a job. student pa lang kasi ako na-hire na ako sa present job ko. God is good all the time. He'll be too to you.