Friday, September 12, 2008

How to Add a Favicon

Favicon is a small icon located at the address bar of your browser window and is used for identity and branding of a site. Favicon is short for favorite icon and is recognized by its ".ico" extension. If you're using the later versions of firefox and Explorer, then it would also be displayed on the tabs. Spoon Lagoon has one. It's my picture! Yeay!

Favicons are usually the logo of the company who owns the site but most bloggers don't have a logo, just like me! So what I used as a favicon is my picture. It is really up to you to decide what picture to use but I suggest soemthing simple because favicons are just 16x16 small. So let's start with generating your own favicon. There is a good number of site that generates afavicon for free but the one I used is by IconJ. They make it very easy to make a favicon.

1. Click BROWSE. Import the photo from your computer.
2. Since favicons are small, you might wanna sharpen it by clicking the drop down box SHARPEN LEVEL.
3. Click UPLOAD IT! to generate your icon. You will then see the actual favicon you'll be seeing next to your site's URL.
4. There would be two option to display your favicon but the easier way is by direct link. Copy the code generated from your favicon.
5. In blogger, go to your dashboard. Click LAYOUT then EDIT HTML. Be careful not to mess with anything in your code. Better back it up or be sorry. Tick the Expand Widget Templates check box and look for "<head>". A much faster way to do this is by typing CTRL F and type the code .
6. Just above it, paste the code you've generated through IconJ.
7. Click Save.

And there you go! You now have a favicon for your site. If you're having problems please tell me and I'll try to help you with your favicon.

By Joe with 13 comments

13 feedbacks:

Oooohhhh! This is just sooo cool. But others won't see this if they won't save your site as a favorite right?

i have my own favicon installed already but it's not hosted.

your way sounds easy to follow. :)

Great post! I will get one too!!! Thanks for the info!

Cheers!
cathy

You have a typo..."Tick the Expand Widget Templates check box and look for____" .

Cheers!
cathy

Hey! Cathy thanks for the notice! I've fixed it now. It screws up everytime i try to edit it. Blogger mistakes it for an html soemthnig...hehehe...

Hope to see your favicon soon!

@toilet thoughts: Everyone who goes in your site will see your favicon even if they haven't favorite-d your site. But again, you should have the later versions of explorer and firefox to be able to see it.

@edelweiza: yeah! yours is animated!kewl!

Hi Jowell!

I did it! Thanks! I have to find a better photo though. Before even reading your blog I thought that I would google how to do a favicon (I didn't even know that it was called that). Surprise surprise you had a post about it! Saved me the trouble of finding out. Great minds think alike...hehehe! Thanks a lot!

Cheers!
Cathy

uy ito ang gusto kong itanong noon pa kung panu ba maglagay ng logo site before ng url address. good thing nai-share mo. pero natakot ako kapag html na ang pag-uusapan. lol. baka magkamali ako at totally mess ang blog ko. huhu. btw, congrats at may work ka na. tapos congrats at nagjoin ka na sa pot pot pot. it's cool! meron pang ibang site aside from pot pot pot na guarantee at nasubukan ko na. sabihin mo lang at sasabihin ko.

^ Really? try mo uli kasi baka hindi mo lang naabutan yung modification ko as procedure. Try mo uli kasi binago ko siya ng konti. it works! promise! i've tried it so many times with my dead blogs it works...

thanks for sharin, i'l add one to my site soon. and if you don't mind i'l blog about it also for my readers. tnx in advance! :)

very interesting... thanks for this nugget of info...

jowell! isa kang henyo!!! maraming maraming salamat! now i can brag about my site's icon... BWAHAHAHAHA!!! (really evil laugh talaga yan, lalo na ngayong depressed ako) =D

at dahil dito, pinilit ko pang alalahanin ang photoshop lessons ko! effort talaga kung effort!

weeeeeeeeeee!!! (di mo ba nafefeel ang hyperactivity ko samantalang 12 midnight na?) LOL.

*ok, i can die now!*

salamat talaga! =P