Friday, August 29, 2008

I Ain't no White Dude



from The Blue Addictions September 3, 2007...


Ok, I don't look like a typical Filipino. I don't have that characteristic tan or that typical Filipino feature. But I don't look white, for Pete's sake. See, My friend Vanessa (she's Fil-Am) has been reiterating that I look like a white boy! "Not even close, Nesa!" would be my usual refort but she would not even bat an eyelash. She's convinced that somehow, foreign blood is running through my veins, thus giving me caucasian-like features. She probably has this theory of me being separated with my real parents at birth. Thing is I'm pure pinoy and certainly not a white boy!

So what if I look mestizo? A lot of people I know looks mestizo too. Since i was young, I never really thought I look different. Not until I went to the States and get to hang out with kids there. I don't know the hell was up with my cousins but whenever they would introduce me to their friends, they would always make a tiny guessing game. "Guess Jowell's Ethnicity" should be the title of that game because...well, the title speaks for itself.

What a surprise! No one answered "Filipino". They didn't think I looked white but they thought I was Korean. Korean!?! Now, where did that came from? I don't get it.

Although the idea that no one can clearly categorize me under what ethnicity bothers me a little, I get to have little laughs with it too. One time when I was about to order food inside UST, the girl behind the cashier suddenly spoke in English even though she communicated with the customers before me in pure Tagalog. I was like "Why?". And then I realized she've mistaken me for a foreigner or a Fil-Am at least. So I played along. I spoke to her in English and watched her brows meet in desperation to come up with a pure English sentence that goes like this "Ser, du yo layk ketsap? Mayuneys? Chips , ser? Wi hab rapols (Ruffles)."

I know I"m mean but I can't help but to laugh. I probably snorted before leaving the counter. And that happens a lot! Nyahahaha... How about you? Do you think I look like a Filipino? Here's a close-up picture..



KIDDING!

By Joe with 10 comments

10 feedbacks:

Hi Jowell,

ive already added you in my blogroll. :) Keep up the nice posts.

hmmm..based on ur profile pic, yes u don't look like a filipino.so, are you? hehe. i know a lot of people who look mestiza but they're pure blooded filipinos, it's ok as long as you're pro-pinoy and proud of our heritage.hehe.:)

naalala ko ang sabi mo noon about this encounter sa canteen. hehehe. baka pinaglihi ka ng nanay mo kay tom cruise. naalala ko tuloy yung high school classmate ko na may lahing blonde. my other classmate spoke to her in english, tapos sinagot niya ng hiligaynon. lol

@spiderye: thanks! it's no easy job to make nice posts but I'm trying my best. your blog is nice too...

@edelweiza: pinoy and proud,baby!

@redlan: haha... we share the same sentiments,red.

cool story! U need to post ur close up pic so i can guess what ethnicity u r. lol

added u already. please don't forget to add me back. see u around!

i don't really know what ethnicity to categorize you, since your profile picture is kind of a bluish in nature. But just the same, disregarding the picture, I really don't know what ethnicity do you belong since it's only you who can tell that.

Anyway, saang store sa UST nangyari yan?

BTW care to exchange links as well?

@ Mrs Stevenson: Close-up pic?!? Awww... camera shy ako eh..haha

@Jaycee: That San Mig store at the carpark bldg... Tomasino too?

ah yung san mig na store pala, sa may commerce building.

yup, tomasino, pero alumnus na.

hahaha... looks can be deceiving!